Simone is a geologist tasked with a wide variety of duties necessary to provide readily accessible geologic information to the public and to ensure systematic stewardship of legacy data. Her work includes ongoing development and maintenance of the Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys online publications library, organizing modern geologic data for online distribution, and overseeing DGGS's continually growing inventory of published and unpublished historic geologic data. Simone compiles all of the division's metadata files and has over ten years of experience working with the FGDC metadata standards. Simone routinely uses several programming languages and technologies including SQL, PHP, HTML, CSS, XML, and JSP. She also manages the division's field safety and communication equipment cache and serves as chairperson for the DGGS Field Operations Safety committee.
Position:Geologist, Geologic Information Center
Address:3354 College Road Fairbanks, AK 99709-3707
Education and/or Training
2001, B.S. - University of Alaska, Fairbanks (Geology)
2014, Northeast Document Conservation Center, NEDCC Document Preservation Workshop
- Metadata - Simone compiles all of the division's metadata files and has more than 15 years of experience writing metadata according to the FGDC metadata standards.
- Publications - In addition to compiling metadata, Simone is responsible for a wide range of additional tasks that are required to publish geologic reports. Dependent on the needs of a given publication, she may be called upon to provide geologic content, plan and supervise publication workflow, facilitate communication between geologists and technical staff, compile GIS data for online distribution, draft geologic field observations, organize analytical data, and evaluate geologic data for consistency and data integrity.
- Geologic information - Simone responds to requests for geologic information from customers who call, write, or visit our office. Effectively answering these inquiries calls for familiarity with multiple aspects of Alaska's geology, awareness of appropriate sources for both general and specialized geologic information, and comprehensive knowledge of our state's geography. Customers who contact us commonly need assistance with or alternatives to our online resources. Simone has a lead role in ensuring that the geologic information that DGGS provides is accessible to customers who are unable to utilize our databases, web based maps, or digital files.
- Field safety and communication equipment - To support safe operational procedures while conducting geologic field work, DGGS maintains a comprehensive inventory of communication and safety equipment. The equipment cache includes: helicopter helmets, radios, solar panels and batteries, satellite phones, first-aid and emergency packs, and personal tracking devices. As DGGS field equipment cache manager, Simone ensures that appropriate equipment is available when needed and maintained according to manufacturer specifications or agency policy.
- Archiving and data preservation - The DGGS Fairbanks office is a significant repository for published and unpublished geologic research. The library houses a comprehensive collection of government reports, geologic journals, student thesis, conference documents, and other literature pertinent to geologic research. Archive materials include geologic field notes and maps, originating reports, and unpublished works. Simone serves as the agency's librarian, archivist, and geologic data preservation specialist.
- 2000 - Outstanding Undergraduate, Geology/Geophysics Department, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 2015 - Governor's Denali Peak Performance Award for Exceptional Performance, Honorable Mention
- 2016 - Association of American State Geologists Presidential Award for Dedicated Volunteer Service to AASG
- Montayne, Simone, Wypych, Alicja, Freeman, L.K., and Griesel, G.A., 2019, Petrographic observations of rocks collected in the Bonnifield mining district, Fairbanks A-1, Fairbanks A-2, Healy D-1, and Healy D-2 quadrangles, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Raw Data File 2019-1, 4 p. http://doi.org/10.14509/30171
- Benowitz, J.A., Layer, P.W., Freeman, L.K., Griesel, G.A., Elliott, B.A., Szumigala, D.J., Wypych, Alicja, and Montayne, Simone, 2019, 40Ar/39Ar data from the eastern Moran area, Tanana B-6 and C-6 quadrangles, and the Ruby mining district, Ruby B-5 and B-6 quadrangles, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Raw Data File 2018-5, 28 p. http://doi.org/10.14509/30117
- Freeman, L.K., Montayne, Simone, and Wypych, Alicja, 2017, Major-oxide and trace-element geochemical data from rocks collected near Panorama Mountain, Mile 104 Seward Highway, Crow Pass, and Whittier, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Raw Data File 2017-12, 4 p. http://doi.org/10.14509/29725
- LePain, D.L., and Montayne, Simone, 2017, Core fragment descriptions, Exxon core holes, uplands bordering Yukon Flats basin, east-central Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Raw Data File 2016-4, 2 p., 1 sheet. http://doi.org/10.14509/29576
- Montayne, Simone, Wartes, M.A., and Clough, J.G., 2012, Summary of fossil fuel and geothermal resource potential in the Bering Straits energy region, in Swenson, R.F., Wartes, M.A., LePain, D.L., and Clough, J.G., Fossil fuel and geothermal energy sources for local use in Alaska: Summary of available information: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Special Report 66C, p. 23-32. http://doi.org/10.14509/24426
- Montayne, Simone, and Whalen, M.T., 2003, A Permian cool-water limestone from the Chulitna terrane, southcentral Alaska, in Clautice, K.H., and Davis, P.K., eds., Short Notes on Alaska Geology 2003: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Professional Report 120D, p. 53-62. http://doi.org/10.14509/2911
- Harris, E.E., Mull, C.G., Reifenstuhl, R.R., and Montayne, Simone, 2002, Geologic map of the Dalton Highway (Atigun Gorge to Slope Mountain) area, southern Arctic Foothills, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Preliminary Interpretive Report 2002-2, 1 sheet, scale 1:63,360. http://doi.org/10.14509/2867
- Athey, J.E., Montayne, Simone, Seitz, S.S., and Freeman, L.K., 2009, Keeping geologic databases fresh and user friendly (presentation): Geological Society of America, Abstracts with Programs v. 41, no. 7, p. 555. https://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2009AM/finalprogram/abstract_167035.htm